Let’s explain some examples of the grammar structure: ‘after being pp‘ and ‘after having pp‘:
- After being told these stories, I started thinking. (psychic-experiences.com)
- I moved back to India after having spent six years in the US. (indix.com)
- Firstly, ‘after’ is a preposition before a complement ‘verb-ing’ clause. For example, ‘after the story’, ‘after the U.S.‘
- We can write ‘after being told…’ in another way with the same meaning: ‘After I was told…’
- Here ‘being‘ is non-finite, which means: it does not have the meaning of time. ‘I was told‘ is the past simple passive’.
- We could start sentence 1 in an active way too: After somebody told me… (but the person that said something is not important)
- ‘I started thinking’ is the main clause and it happened second in time. (being told happened first in time)
- We change the order of the clauses: I started thinking after being told… You can see sentence 2 has ‘after‘ in the middle.
- We can write ‘after having spent…‘ in another with the same meaning: ‘After I had spent’ = past perfect simple.
- First, they lived in the US and second, they moved to India.
In conclusion, ‘being’ replaces some tense/time structure with ‘BE‘ and ‘HAVING’ replaces some tense/time structure that uses a form of ‘HAVE‘.
a non-finite subordinate clause with ‘after’ + ‘having/being’ + ‘-ed’ form, before a main clause, to refer to past time.
Note that there are two grammar points at the C2 level for having + been + past participle. And at B1 students can already use ‘before|after + VERB-ing’
Definition example from englishclass101
6 AFTER BEING SHOT
This is obviously a dark topic. Further search for collocates make it even more related to gun injuries:
1 TIMES, 2 DIED, 3 HEAD, 4 HOSPITAL, 6 DURING, 7 DOWN, 8 POLICE, 9 CONDITION, 10 MULTIPLE
After being +
7 RELEASED, 8 CONVICTED, 9 NAMED, 10 ARRESTED, 11 STRUCK, 12 CAUGHT, 13 GIVEN, 14 TAKEN, 15 ACCUSED, 16 CHARGED, 17 EXPOSED, 18 ASKED
19 AFTER HAVING SPENT
2 LAST, 3 MONTHS, 4 HOURS, 5 WEEKS, 6 FEW, 7 DAYS, 8 SEVERAL, 9 PREVIOUS, 10 NIGHT
20 BEING SELECTED, 21 BEING FORCED, 22 BEING DRAFTED, 23 HAVING HAD, 24 BEING INTRODUCED, 25 BEING LEFT, 26 BEING SENT, 27 BEING ATTACKED, 28 HAVING READ, 29 BEING TREATED, 30 BEING HELD, 31 BEING CALLED, 32 BEING PUT, 33 HAVING DONE, 34 AFTER BEING USED, 35 BEING FIRED, 36 BEING BORN, 37 BEING PLACED, 38 BEING ELECTED, 39 BEING INSPIRED, 40 BEING RESCUED, 41 HAVING SEEN, 42 BEING INJURED, 43 HAVING WORKED, 44 BEING PULLED, 45 BEING BITTEN, 46 HAVING SERVED, 47 BEING ADMITTED, 48 BEING PICKED, 49 BEING DROPPED, 50 HAVING RECEIVED
1 AFTER HAVING BEEN (C2 grammar non-finite ‘-ing’ perfect forms of the passive as the complement of prepositions.)
further collocates to the right:
The most common past participle after ‘after having’ is ‘been’. The search for collocates pictured above shows that a passive structure is very common after ‘after having’. For example:
*Final note, it isn’t always clear whether ‘-ed past participles’ should be considered adjectives:
STUDENT IN SPEAKING TEST EXAMPLE:
TLC female Sri Lanka B1
The most common verbs ranked in the iWeb corpus have been added in order to our quiz:
#1. At this stage of his career, after being ************ repeatedly about what he needs to change or do to get better and get more recognition, it's clearly on him and him alone to make it happen. ? what's the missing verb?
After 9yrs in the NBA, JSmith is still struggling with the same issues of emotional and psychological immaturity and poor decision making. Otherwise, he’s solid as a rock. At this stage of his career, after being told repeatedly about what he needs to change or do to get better and get more recognition, it’s clearly on him and him alone to make it happen.
|Title||Atlanta Hawks: Lesson to be learned in technical fouls | Atlanta Hawks|
after been or after being?
‘After been’ is wrong. Here is a search in iWeb corpus for the frequency of both:
- 1 AFTER BEING 227,580 examples in the corpus
2 AFTER BEEN610 errors
Choose ‘After I had been…’ or ‘After being…’