In the English Grammar Profile, A2 point 13 in the category of ADJECTIVES/superlatives:
one syllable with a short vowel, by doubling the final consonant and adding ‘est’
PELIC STUDENT EXAMPLE:
Chinese level 5 writing class.
Here are the superlatives we found in a search in iWeb corpus for:
4 BIGGEST 1122195
25 HOTTEST 102428
83 FITTEST 10804
90 SADDEST 9545
113 WETTEST 6532
157 FATTEST 2870
167 SLIMMEST 2726
170 HIPPEST 2625
183 FUNNEST 2376
207 FLATTEST 1785
329 DIMMEST 839
363 MADDEST 658
414 RADDEST 490
428 GRIMMEST 463
Here are some full sentences using the most common superlative adjectives above:
- The hottest day of the year was 25 degrees Celsius.
- The fittest person in the world is probably a professional athlete.
- The saddest story I’ve ever heard is about a child who lost their parents.
- The wettest place on Earth is Mawsynram, India.
- The fattest person in the world weighed over 600 pounds.
- The slimmest person in the world weighed less than 60 pounds.
- The hippest neighborhood in town is the one with all the trendy shops and restaurants.
- The funnest party I ever went to was the one where everyone was dancing and laughing until the sun came up.
- The flattest surface I’ve ever seen is a mirror.
- The dimmest room I’ve ever been in was a cave.
- The maddest person I’ve ever met was a homeless man who was yelling at the sky.
- The raddest thing I’ve ever seen was a skateboarder do a backflip off a ramp.
- The grimmest fairy tale I’ve ever read is “The Little Mermaid.”